Thursday, May 09, 2013

Parenthood


Having a child or being pregnant has been known to be one of the most beautiful parts of life. Really? Nothing I see about moving stomachs, epic mood swings and as far as I’m concerned, pushing the equivalent of a water melon through a button hole, is remotely beautiful. I tell you, watching the British TV show ‘one born every minute’ has definitely scarred me for life and put me off of child birth all together – so I don’t think you’ll see me taking the road of motherhood any time soon.
One thing that did amaze me when I was talking to a friend of mine was the ‘sink or swim’ response to becoming a parent. I think that teen mums have the worst reputation imaginable when really, they don’t deserve it.  It’s like anything in life – it’s a select few that’s ruined it for all. I don’t think people give them enough credit. Yea, maybe things could have panned out a little differently, but couldn’t it with everyone? I have friends my age who are bringing up a baby just as well as a 27 year old. And those of you that watch Jeremy Kyle, there’s 30 year olds who are doing a far worse job at bringing up a child than those that gave birth young. It’s really not an age thing but an individual thing, and I don’t see why people don’t realise that.
I have a friend, and I hope she doesn’t mind me mentioning her, who is a few months younger than me with the most BEAUTIFUL baby boy I have seen. I think she’s bloody fantastic! Her baby is happy, healthy and gets all the love it needs (and more) all while his mum is 17. She’s paid for a christening, moving into  a new house, bought a new pram and the only thing I’ve ever seen her complain about is ‘wow I’m tired’. Yea, her life could have gone completely differently if she didn’t have her bundle of joy, but if you ask her…she wouldn’t change a thing and he is the best thing in her life – her and her partners life should I say.  So please explain to me how ‘all young mums are shit and don’t deserve to be parents’ ? That stereotype really gets me, I’m proud to say I know such a strong and independent young mum.
While we’re at it, let’s get into another ‘issue’. ‘Gay’s shouldn’t be parents’. Why the heck not?! I read something the other day and I completely agreed with it: When gays become parents, it shows they actually want a child. They have to go the extra mile and find a surrogate if they’re male, sperm donors if they’re female or go through a lengthy and often difficult adoption process. Going through all this shows they WANT to bring a life into this world. If you would kindly let me refer you back to Jeremy Kyle, the amount of couples that just pop kids out when they don’t want them is unbelievable. There’s children taken into homes or being neglected just because these few heterosexual couples couldn’t be arsed using protection. Yea, accidents happen…but when they do happen you have to step up to the plate. As long as a child is loved and cared for, I don’t give a crap weather it’s a single mum/dad, two male’s, two female’s or a heterosexual couple.  The health and wellbeing of a child is not determined on who bought them up, but on how they were brought up.

1 comment: