Friday, May 24, 2013

Make Someone's Day

Lately I’ve realised the amount of people that go on their day to day business and somewhat blank out the world around them. We’re getting far too unsociable for my liking – hiding behind computer screens instead of going out ; getting our work done and ignoring those around us. One of my biggest pet peeves is people who don’t speak to the bus driver. This guy/gal has just driven you miles across town so that you can get where you want to be, and you just ignore them. NONONO. People who don’t thank the bus driver are instantly on my hate list. I make sure I go out of my way to say ‘good morning/afternoon’ with a smile when I get on, and a big ‘thank you, have a good day’ when I get off. Is that so difficult? It’s common courtesy , a trait of which a lot of the population seem to be lacking just lately.
                To combat this issue in the smallest way possible (seen as I only have a select few readers, aha), I thought it would be a nice idea to put out some pointers on how to brighten someone’s day. Amazingly, the things I’m going to mention aren’t ground breaking news – just common sense. Theirs been books written on this, in fact. But they really are not hard to do, so why not do it?
                First off, compliment someone.  How great does it feel to have someone you barely speak to go out of their way to tell you they think you look nice today, or they like your choice of clothing, or you have nice eyes…or something. And if you’ve not experienced that then that’s a huge shame so: BABE, YOU…READING THIS RIGHT NOW…YOU LOOK BLOODY LOVELY TODAY! A compliment does wonders to the way someone is feeling and helps give them a boost for the day. I love making people smile, and this is a sure fire way to do so. They won’t forget it either, I guarantee. Even if you tell them at 7am, they will remember what you said as they’re getting tucked up to go to bed that evening. It’s so simple, yet so effective – though do be genuine.
                Smiles go a long way. I know it’s said all the time and seems a load of rubbish – but just think about it. The last stranger to smile at you, did you smile back? Smiles are infectious. You can make the whole world smile back at you by just doing so yourself (bit of an exaggeration but you get the idea). One of the first things I notice about a person is if they have a nice smile – it’s THE most attractive thing in the world (to me) if someone has a nice, warm smile. Well no one would want to see a grumpy face walking towards them, would they?
(this is what i needed 25p
for, yum)
                Help out – if you see that lady scrambling through her purse to find 15p to pay the shop keeper and you have change in your hand…offer her it. I do this with so many people and their face instantly lights up – people on the bus especially for when the price suddenly jumps up by 10p without warning. Equally, if someone has their hand full of stuff, offer a hand or at least open the door for them. It’s trivial things like that which help people out and show that there is hope for humanity. Oh, by the way, the guy who paid 25p for me in the coffee shop the other morning when I was short on change, GOD BLESS YOU SIR! – see, people DO remember this stuff.
                If you’ve not seen the common theme here, it’s that LITTLE THINGS MATTER. It’s the smallest things in the world that make people feel that bit better about their day. It’s amazing how the smallest interaction with someone can change their whole outlook on their day to day activities. It’s not like it’s a huge inconvenience for you to do a small thing for someone like old a door open or compliment their shoes. So I urge you, today…at least once, do something for someone else. Not only will you make their day better, but you’ll feel fab for doing it yourself. So there you have it, the small things that make a big difference. My rant on common courtesy is now done, so go! Venture out in the world! Do something nice! Make someone’s day! – I dare you :’)

No comments:

Post a Comment